Monday, July 18, 2011

Today

I suppose I should be thankful that after eight years and four children, today was the first time we had to rush a child to the urgent care center for a head injury.  And I also suppose that I should not be surprised that it was Ben who had to go. 

This morning I decided that we needed to do some de-cluttering.  I got the big kids to help and we started cleaning up Hannah’s room.  While I was sifting through the closet (more like wading actually) I came across this sweet blanket that my neighbor crocheted for her:

  • Boo Boo Ben 004 

Hannah was so excited to have it back and carried it around the house.  Meanwhile the kids and I were getting more and more involved in organizing Hannah’s room..(It felt like that story about giving a mouse a cookie…one mess led to another)  Pea is downstairs throwing her new blanket up in the air and catching it, much to Ben’s delight.  Then I hear her yelling to me something jumbled about stuck blanket and mantle clock.  I told her I’d be down in a second (fatal error) and pulled another box down from the closet. 

All of a sudden I hear a loud crash, and MAJOR crying from the two littles.  I rush downstairs to find Hannah panicking and Ben standing next to a smashed mantle clock with blood dripping down across his forehead.  A LOT of blood (come to find out later that head wounds bleed a lot…regardless of severity).  Turns out, Pea had thrown her blanket up, caught it on the corner of this clock:

Boo Boo Ben 001

(SUPER POINTY!!) and then in an effort to retrieve her blanket, had pulled it and the clock, directly onto Ben’s head. 

So I panic, grab lots of paper towels and comfort Ben.  Then I called Hailey (nurse thank heavens) who heads out our way for a consult-she takes a look at the boo boo (which is right above his hairline and about an inch in length) and she recommends that we head to the urgent care for either stiches/staples or glue.  She and Nana are there to watch the kids so I head out to the urgent (snort) care place near our house. 

Three hours later Ben is strapped to the “papoose” which is essentially a surfboard with strong velcrow straps getting three shots of lidocane followed by three staples.  He was screaming so loudly that one of the extra nurses came in just to make sure on one was getting killed. 

Eventually it was over but my gracious it was terrible.  The poor boy was so upset!!  I felt sure that he would come home subdued, take a long nap and need lots of snuggles this afternoon.  Unfortunately that does not appear to be the case.  He not only is not napping, but he has also been to time out twice for whacking siblings and stealing toys.  Little delinquent.

Boo Boo Ben 003

(Not to be gross but you can kinda see where the boo-boo is…right on the top of his head.)

However it does my heart good to see him back to normal so quickly…After seeing all that blood I was so freaked out…certain that TheBen was broken.  I suppose alls well that ends well…but today sure was a Monday!!  Nana and Hailey..don’t know where I’d have been without y’all….thanks a million!!!  Margaritas in return?? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing!! And poor TheBen, and poor Hannah!!! So glad it all turned out ok ( you are lucky to have all of that help!!!). I hope your Tuesday is better!!!!!

    ReplyDelete