Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Unmentionable?

So, looking over the past few posts, I realized that there have been very few stories about TheBen.  Now before you call me a neglectful mommy, let me explain!o

  Ben has been a bit of a challenge for me…not that he is necessarily a bad baby, but…it has taken me longer to figure him out than it did with the others.  Let’s just say there was a lot of miscommunicating going on between the two of us.  So I haven’t wanted to blog about him because I was afraid that my perspective at the time might paint him in an…unflattering light.  However!!  All of a sudden, things have gotten a bit easier for us.  I realized that Ben is really really all boy, (and also not a baby) and if he is unhappy, it is because he is either: a. not outside, b. not throwing something or c.is being left behind.  This last one is a big one.  One of the things that he does that drives me crazy is racing behind me, crying and crying and CRYING to be held and carried around…which I really can’t do ALL THE TIME.  But I realized that the poor child just wanted to be able to keep up with me…( apparently he thought his mommy was always running away to do other things and didn’t care about the baby).  So I’ve made an effort to either hold his hand and let him go where I was going which he loves!  Or sometimes if I just tell him, “mommy is leaving to run downstairs but I will be right back”, he is okay with it.  I guess he just needs to know.  So between that and the weather being nice enough to be outside 90% of the time, things have gotten a lot easier. 

Overall, he is a sweet boy-he still loves the wagon, and eats like a horse!  In the mornings he is especially hungry-he eats an entire bowl of cheerios and yogurt, followed by a cereal bar, washed down with a cup of juice and topped off with half of whatever I’m eating.  And then 20 minutes later he’s ready for lunch.  Matt has nicknamed him the sheriff of Nottingham because he is always taking a “bentax” on whatever we are eating in the form of a handful or a mouthful  (sometimes both).  He also has very strong lungs…and while his speech is coming along nicely, he still can have an entire conversation (complete with appropriate inflexions) in a completely unintelligible language.  I feel certain that he knows what he is talking about…but I still don’t.  It’s pretty funny to listen to.  

He is not exactly an angel all the time however-in fact just this morning he cost me $20…because he decided that the library book (about sharks) should be carried into the bathroom and have the faucet turned on to it.  Because heaven forbid those sharks dry up!!  The sweet librarian pointed out that this was actually probably the sign of a genius.  (I asked her if she knew anyone who wanted a tiny genius…she said decidedly, no)

So there’s the Ben update…hopefully I haven’t neglected him for too long SmileAnd next time I’ll have some pictures I hope!

3 comments:

  1. haha love this post! Seriously made me laugh out loud, especially about the sharks/tiny genius. The way you write/tell stories is so great. Glad that things are improving with The(notsobad)Ben :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute!!! agreed with Ginny! your tiny genius sure is cute!!!
    Love the new family pic up top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Caroline, I've alwasy blogged about her unflatteringly. but maybe the good things I've said about her outweigh the bad? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete