Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Our First Summer Project

So, we survived the first week off of school-thanks to a lot of pool time and Matt taking Friday off.  We celebrated our annual “May 29th” with the kids-slightly downgraded from last year but still lots of fun.  Caitlin and I went out for Mexican food (where she ordered grilled shrimp.  How Mexican!) and Matt and Matthew went out for dinner at a local sports bar to catch part of a Braves game.  On Sunday we had a great barbecue with Matt’s family-the weather was awesome and Matt’s barbecue turned out really well!  Then Monday we spent the day recovering from all the weekend fun. 

This week, I decided to start our first summer project with the kids.  I was at Kroger the other day and they had a big basket of seeds on clearance.  I picked out a few packs and decided we were going to grow some veggies! 

First I found an old egg carton and cut it into three sections-one for each of the three oldest.  (something tells me that Ben is not quite ready.)  I poked holes in the bottom and used the top of the egg carton as a tray to go underneath:

IMG_1319

Then we labeled our seed containers with initials of the child and then each individual cup with the type of seed we were planting.  I had four different varieties (it was all that was left among the clearance seeds)-radishes, lettuce and two types of carrots.

IMG_1321

We filled the little planters with soil:

IMG_1323

…and planted our seeds

IMG_1327

I had a medicine dropper for watering to ensure that my eager gardeners did not overwater-

IMG_1329

IMG_1328

And then I made a few backup plants with the extra seeds in case someone’s doesn’t work out.  (or if Ben decides to satisfy his curiosity…)

IMG_1336 

So now we wait!  The kids had so much fun with the tomato plants last year, so I really hope this project is as successful. 

In addition to this new little veggie garden, we have also grown strawberries:

IMG_1337

and the apple seeds we grew from seeds last year (or maybe the year before) are also thriving.  We are a regular farm around here!

IMG_1338

3 comments:

  1. You are quite the horticulturalist!!!! I am soo impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea, ML! So fun! My kids would love to do it, so I might steal it ;) Hope your summer continues going well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post :) The pictures you took are so good!!

    ReplyDelete